*** Tuesday Weather Update ***
FOR ON-SITE WEATHER INFO, CALL (484) 369-1803 (WM DUTY PHONE)
Clarification: water levels referenced in this report, such as 6', are based on lowest low tide level (MLLW). It does not mean height over sea level, nor does it mean over flood level!
As of 09:00, the Long Neck road approach IS NOT FLOODED, but is likely to to have some water on it when highest water level arrives approximately 5:00pm. So far, maximum projected water levels HAVE BEEN DROPPING over the last few days, and this afternoon's highest water level is projected to put about an inch or so on the roadway at 17:00. I will be updating this if there is a significant change.
Local authorities may have posted a sign indicating the road is closed to through traffic. This is a warning sign, and does not reflect the true conditions of the road beyond. There is the expectations that this sign may be passed, as indicated by the presence of school buses and other municipal public transit vehicles on both sides of this sign.
If you encounter this sign, and you would like assistance, please contact the WM Duty phone at (484) 369-1803 and one of us will come out to assist.
Updated tidal level and overall water level predictions and observations can be found here - https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=lwsd1.... Water appears on the roadway at approximately 7’ of water (“moderate” flood stage)
As of 09:00 this morning, the next two high projected tidal levels are expected to be today (Tuesday) at 17:00 at approximately 7.4", and tomorrow (Wednesday) at 17:00 at approximately that are projected to peak at 6.8’. After this time, subsequent projected tidal flows continue to decline below the stage at which the road begins to flood.
The campsite is currently NOT flooded Water incursion is expected concurrent with high water cresting at approximately 17:00. Areas of the campground most commonly affected when in the moderate and higher flood stages are the sites directly adjacent to the canals. Based on observations over the last few days, at higher water levels than projected moving forwards, the following sites may have some water, but not enough to impact use: 89 - 92: Some water in the back of the site, no water in areas commonly used for doors, stairs, or picnic tables 130-132: Some water in the back of the site, no water in areas commonly used for doors, stairs, or picnic tables 149-150: Some water in the back of the site, no water in areas commonly used for doors, stairs, or picnic tables. Other areas of the park may experience standing water in roadways, etc.
COMMON TRAVEL ROUTES:
Cape May - Lewes Ferry: As of the time of this writing, the following ferries have been cancelled: - 7:00am from Cape May - 10:30am from Cape May - 8:45am from Lewes - 12:15pm from Lewes Their statement regarding other departures is as follows: "We will continue to monitor the weather for this afternoon, but do not expect conditions to change. We will update this advisory, and our customers, as necessary." Source: https://www.cmlf.com/
Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel: As of approximately 07:45, The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is currently operating under a wind advisory which means speeds are reduced to 45mph, and no passing permitted, but no restrictions on vehicles is in place. More info on the restriction levels can be found here - https://www.cbbt.com/weather/ Source: https://twitter.com/FollowTheGulls
Delaware Memorial Bridge: No restrictions in place as of the time of this writing. Source: https://twitter.com/demembridge
MD Bay Bridge: Bay Bridge has been downgraded to wind warnings as of approximately 09:10. This means: "(sustained wind speeds of 30-39 mph for a continuous period of 10 mins or more; or wind gusts persistently exceed 30 mph over a period of 15 mins) operators of house trailers, box trailers, motorcycles, vehicles with roof-mount racks containing cargo or any other vehicle that may be subject to high winds are advised to use caution while traveling across the bridge." Source: Maryland Transportation Authority official Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/TheMDTA
Nice/Middleton Bridge: Remains under a Wind Warning as of the time of this writing. This means: "(sustained wind speeds of 30-39 mph for a continuous period of 10 mins or more; or wind gusts persistently exceed 30 mph over a period of 15 mins) operators of house trailers, box trailers, motorcycles, vehicles with roof-mount racks containing cargo or any other vehicle that may be subject to high winds are advised to use caution while traveling across the bridge." Source: Maryland Transportation Authority official Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/TheMDTA
IMPACT ON THE EVENT:
Current plans are that the event IS STILL ON, with potential for minimal disruption to the schedule on Wednesday, as the tents are currently scheduled to be delayed one day, to be set up on Wednesday morning. If necessary, we will make, and announce, adjustments to the schedule based on available venues and conditions.
Once this storm blows out, it is supposed to be gorgeous for the remainder of the event!
Please be safe, and reach out if you have any additional questions or concerns!